找回密码
 注册入学

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

查看: 143|回复: 0

VOA 12月5日常速新闻简讯

[复制链接]
 楼主| 发表于 2013-2-17 15:17:51 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
Dancing, exotic food in abundance, camaraderie —all in an ambassador's residence in Washington, DC. But this is not a typical party. It is a fundraiser for the victims of superstorm Sandy, which devastated coastal areas of the northeastern United States, particularly in New York and New Jersey.
舞蹈、异国情调的丰盛食物,友谊,在一处驻华盛顿大使官邸应有尽有。 但这不是一次典型的聚会。 这是一场为超级飓风桑迪受害者们筹办的筹款会,桑迪摧毁了美国东北部的沿海地区,尤其是纽约和新泽西。
The scenes of destruction spurred Rosa Rai Djalal, the wife of the Indonesian ambassador to the United States, into action. "I saw the TV before and during the hurricane and it is so devastated, and I feel a sense of deja vu because, you know, Indonesia was hit by a huge earthquake in 2004 and at that time all the international community helped us and I right away called my friends'Let us do something to help them,'" she said.
破坏的景象促使印度尼西亚驻美国大使的妻子罗莎·莱·德加莱投入到行动当中。 “我之前就在电视上看到,而且飓风肆虐期间也看到了如此的破坏力,我感到一种似曾相识的感觉, 因为你知道, 印度尼西亚2004年曾遭受强地震,而那时所有国际社会都帮助我们, 所以我马上打电话给我的朋友并说让我们做些事来帮助他们。”她说道。
Djalal is president of the Muslim Women's Association in Washington and rallied fellow ambassadors' spouses and diplomats. They decided to highlight their different cultures for the benefit of U.S. storm victims.
德加莱是华盛顿穆斯林妇女协会的主席,她号召大使的配偶和外交官们。 他们决定凸显自己不同的文化以造福美国风暴的受害者们。
Guests paid $50 to attend the lunchtime benefit at the Indonesian ambassador's residence. All proceeds went to the American Red Cross, where Raquel Mata works. "I think the title of this event says it all, ' Solidarity for Victims of Hurricane Sandy'. Because, you know, it does not have a face. We are all together. We are all unified in a cause that is affecting everybody," she said.
客人们需要支付50美元出席印尼大使官邸的午餐筹款会。 所有收入都捐给美国红十字会,而拉克尔·马塔就在那里工作。 “我认为这次活动的名称说明了一切,“为飓风桑迪的受害者们团结起来”。 因为,你知道,这不光是表面的事情。 我们都在一起。我们团结一致,这会影响到每个人,”她说道。
It is that sense of unity that matters to Fatima Aujali, whose father is the Libyan Ambassador to the United States. "Muslim people really care about our friends and the American people. This is just us trying to do something to help them out,' she said.
团结感对法蒂玛·奥贾利也很重要,她的父亲是利比亚驻美国大使。 “穆斯林人真的关心我们的朋友和美国人民。 这就是我们想做些事情来帮助他们的原因。”她说道。
Guests bid on donated items as they explored the cultures of Afghanistan, Azerbaijan, Egypt, Iraq, Indonesia, Libya, Tunisia, Turkey, Jordan and the Palestinian territories.
客人竞拍捐赠物品,这些是他们对阿富汗、阿塞拜疆、埃及、伊拉克、印度尼西亚、利比亚、突尼斯、土耳其、约旦和巴勒斯坦领土进行文化探索时候的所得。
"I have not been exposed to many Muslim countries, and this is a very good opportunity to see them and meet them and talk about it," she said. They also feasted on a vast array of Asian and Middle Eastern delights.
“我对于许多穆斯林国家都不是很了解,这是一个很好看看,了解及谈论的机会。”她说道。 他们也尽情享受了很多亚洲和中东的乐趣。
The combination of diversity and unity appealed to U.S. Deputy Chief of Protocol Natalie Jones.
多样性的结合和统一也吸引着美国礼宾处副处长娜塔莉·琼斯。
"So many women and so many countries came together in such little time to unite around victims of Hurricane Sandy, and they did this through the power of food and their cultures and traditions," she said. Jones praised the event as "culinary diplomacy" in action.
“如此多的女性和如此多的国家在如此短的时间里聚集在一起,为了飓风桑迪的受害者们团结一致,通过食物的魅力及她们自身的文化和传统。”她说。 琼斯称赞这一活动为“烹饪外交”。
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册入学

本版积分规则

联系我们|Archiver|小黑屋|手机版|滚动|柠檬大学 ( 京ICP备13050917号-2 )

GMT+8, 2024-3-29 00:19 , Processed in 0.035449 second(s), 15 queries .