找回密码
 注册入学

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

查看: 2624|回复: 0

These 5 execs are changing the face of the Fortune 500

[复制链接]
 楼主| 发表于 2015-8-1 16:48:08 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
When it comes to the creation of world-changing ideas, startups get all the acclaim. We get it—being the new kid on the block is a blessing, not a curse, in the land of innovation. But that’s not the whole picture. A number of landmark tools and technologies can be credited to clever people working for some of the largest companies on the planet. Xerox (No. 143) XRX0.38%in the 1970s invented Ethernet, now a fixture of the modern Internet-connected office. Motorola (No. 363) MSI0.45%in the 1980s developed Six Sigma, a set of process-improvement techniques that changed the way Fortune 500 companies operated. And Walmart’s (No. 1) WMT1.34%use of “continuous replenishment” for inventory in the 1990s is a key reason it has spent more than a decade at or near the top of our iconic list. What will the next 10 years bring? Hard to say—but these five movers and shakers are among those best positioned to grasp it. Read on to discover Fortune‘s 2015 Accelerators.                       
    谈及改变世界的创想,创业公司往往抢尽风头。谁都知道,在创新领域,新人没有什么历史负担,有其天生的优势。但是,我们也要看到:有许多里程碑式的工具和技术,要归功于在一些在全球最大的公司里工作的聪明人。上世纪70年代,施乐公司发明了以太网,如今这已经成为现代化互联网办公室的必备装置。80年代,摩托罗拉提出了六西格玛管理策略,这套流程改进技术改变了很多《财富》500强公司的运营模式。90年代,沃尔玛采用库存连续补货策略,成为其十多年来稳居《财富》美国500强前列的一个重要原因。未来十年又会诞生哪些新事物?现在还不好说。但是,这五位行动者和变革者最有可能给我们带来改变。                       
Sheri Hickok, 37
   谢莉•希柯克,37岁
    Chief Engineer, Next-Gen Full-Size Trucks
       下一代全尺寸卡车首席工程师
    General Motors
       公司:通用汽车
    No. 6
       美国500强排名:第6位
    “It’s about owning it and not having any regrets.”
       “力保成功,别留下任何遗憾。”
    “I consider myself the wedding planner of the auto industry,” Sheri Hickok says with a chuckle. “I pull together the pieces, parts, and people who execute a vehicle.” Hickok leads the group responsible for the Chevrolet Silverado, a division so important to GM that a misstep could be “detrimental to the company’s long-term outlook,” she admits. Not that she’s worried. “We have our eyes on the prize. The next truck will take it to the next level.” —Andrew Nusca       
       谢莉•希柯克轻声笑着说:“我觉得自己就像是汽车业的婚礼策划师。把各种零件、部件和制造汽车的人组合到一起。”她领导的团队负责雪佛兰西尔维拉多车型,该部门对通用汽车至关重要,她也承认一个小失误都会“危及公司的长远预期。”但这并不是她最关心的。“我们始终以成功为目标。下一代卡车将使这个行业更上一层楼。”               
Ben Artis, 28
   本•阿提斯,28岁
    Senior Category Manager, Connected Home
       互联家庭高级战略采购经理
    Whirlpool
       公司:惠而浦
    No. 148 (Global 500)
       世界500强排名:第148位
    “Never say no to a new idea until you’ve had a chance to see its potential.”
       “在看到一种新想法的潜力之前,永远不要说它不可能。”
    Ben Artis used to link disparate ideas as a weekly improv-comedy performer in Chicago. Now the new father helps his century-old employer strike deals with strange bedfellows—such as Google’s Nest—to help Whirlpool secure a role in the growing Internet of things. The result? A line of laundry machines that can detect when you leave home and switch to a setting that keeps dried clothes fresh. It’s improv’s “Yes, and……” approach applied to tech. —Katie Fehrenbacher
       本•阿提斯曾是芝加哥的一名即兴喜剧演员,每周演出一次。他总能把风马牛不相及的想法联系起来。如今,刚刚升级做爸爸的阿提斯,正在帮助其雇主——百年老店惠而浦,与谷歌的Nest等新伙伴展开合作,以便在日益增长的物联网领域谋得一席之地。他的成果如何?惠而浦推出了一系列洗衣机,可以探测到你何时要从家里出门,并切换设置,让烘干的衣服保持味道清新。
Starlee Sykes, 39
   斯塔利•赛克斯,39岁
    Vice President, Deepwater Projects
       深水项目副总裁
    BP
       公司:英国石油
    No. 6 (Global 500)
       世界500强排名:第6位
    “I was the first woman in my family to become an engineer.”
       “我是我们家族第一位女性工程师。”
    Starlee Sykes stands out. A woman in a man’s industry. An operations expert in a sea of financial gurus. An executive who spends more time in Angola, Brazil, and Trinidad than in her Houston office. Her job? Extract oil from some of the world’s trickiest spots. The gig puts Sykes—one of six kids and a Texan—in charge of 14 deepwater drilling projects and, in turn, BP’s future. Says Sykes: “I’ve never said no to a challenge.” —Stacey Higginbotham       
       作为一个男性主导的行业里的女性,以及无数财务大师中的运营专家,斯塔利•赛克斯非常引人瞩目。身为公司高管,她在安哥拉、巴西和特立尼达的时间,要多于在休斯敦办公室的时间。那么她的工作是什么?——从全世界最棘手的地区开采石油。她是一位德州人,也是六个孩子的母亲,负责14个深水钻探项目,因此可以说她掌握着英国石油的未来。她说:“面对挑战,我从未说不。”
Ajinder Singh, 38
   阿金德尔•辛格,38岁
    Systems Manager, Building Automation
       建筑自动化系统经理
    Texas Instruments
       公司:德州仪器
    No. 233
       美国500强排名:第233位
    “In my spare time I like to open up stuff to see how it works.”
       “我在业余时间喜欢拆开一个东西,研究它如何工作。”
    As a hobby, Ajinder Singh dissects candy machines and remote-controlled cars. At his office he cracks open “smart” building devices—Internet-connected thermostats, air-quality sensors, surveillance cameras—to improve them. A recent feat? Singh and his team designed a way for the gadgets to harvest indoor light, saving energy, money, and (in some cases) the need for replacing batteries. “Engineering is my passion,” he says. Indeed.—Robert Hackett
       阿金德尔•辛格的业余爱好是拆糖果机和遥控汽车。而在办公室里,他负责拆解“智能”建筑设备——联网的恒温控制器、空调传感器、监控摄像机等,并改善它们的性能。他最近的成绩如何呢?辛格和其团队设计出一种使物件收集室内灯光的方式,不仅省电省钱,而且(在某些情况下)可以省去更换电池的麻烦。他说:“工程设计是我的挚爱。”确实如此。
  Leanne Hunter, 36
   林恩•亨特,36岁
    Purchasing Manager
       采购经理
    Caterpillar
       公司:卡特彼勒
    No. 54
       美国500强排名:第54位
    “Sheryl Sandberg has been a real inspiration.”
       “谢莉尔•桑德伯格让我深受启发。”
    Leanne Hunter’s soothing Irish lilt belies the fact that she spends her days sparring with suppliers to reduce costs. “Material can be 70% of product cost,” she says. “That’s huge.” Caterpillar is best known for its yellow tractors, but its lucrative power generators are “one of the company’s best-kept secrets,” she says. Thanks to Hunter’s data-driven negotiating, not for long. —Andrew Nusca
       她舒缓的爱尔兰口音很容易让人忽略这个事实:为了降低公司成本,其实她每天都在与供应商讨价还价。她说:“材料占我们产品成本的70%,这是很大一部分。”卡特彼勒最知名的产品是其黄色拖拉机,但她说,利润丰厚的发电机才“是公司保守最好的秘密之一。”但随着其谈判中公布出来的数据,这个秘密可能马上就会大白于天下。
                   全文阅读>>>
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册入学

本版积分规则

联系我们|Archiver|小黑屋|手机版|滚动|柠檬大学 ( 京ICP备13050917号-2 )

GMT+8, 2024-3-28 22:59 , Processed in 0.054501 second(s), 15 queries .