注册入学

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

查看: 401|回复: 0

Aesop's Fables:136, 137and 138

[复制链接]
 楼主| 发表于 2013-5-20 16:17:11 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
136. The Birdcatcher, the Partridge, and the Cock
A BIRDCATCHER was about to sit down to a dinner of herbs when a friend unexpectedly came in.  
The bird-trap was quite empty, as he had caught nothing, and he had to kill a pied Partridge, which he had tamed for a decoy.  
The bird entreated earnestly for his life: "What would you do without me when next you spread your nets? Who would chirp you to sleep, or call for you the covey of answering birds?'  The Birdcatcher spared his life, and determined to pick out a fine young Cock just attaining to his comb.  
But the Cock expostulated in piteous tones from his perch: "If you kill me, who will announce to you the appearance of the dawn? Who will wake you to your daily tasks or tell you when it is time to visit the bird-trap in the morning?'  He replied, "What you say is true.  
You are a capital bird at telling the time of day. But my friend and I must have our dinners."  
Necessity knows no law.  
137. The Monkey and the Fishermen
A MONKEY perched upon a lofty tree saw some Fishermen casting their nets into a river, and narrowly watched their proceedings.
The Fishermen after a while gave up fishing, and on going home to dinner left their nets upon the bank. The Monkey, who is the most imitative of animals, descended from the treetop and endeavored to do as they had done.  
Having handled the net, he threw it into the river, but became tangled in the meshes and drowned.  
With his last breath he said to himself, "I am rightly served; for what business had I who had never handled a net to try and catch fish?'  
138. The Flea and the Wrestler
A FLEA settled upon the bare foot of a Wrestler and bit him, causing the man to call loudly upon Hercules for help.  
When the Flea a second time hopped upon his foot, he groaned and said, "O Hercules! if you will not help me against a Flea, how can I hope for your assistance against greater antagonists?'
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册入学

本版积分规则

联系我们|Archiver|小黑屋|手机版|滚动|柠檬大学 ( 京ICP备13050917号-2 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-19 09:20 , Processed in 0.065680 second(s), 15 queries .